Enjoy a personal guided tour of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Melbourne, one of the oldest churches in Melbourne.
The origin of is congregation goes back to the late 1840s when German-speaking immigrants - many of whom were Lutherans - began to arrive in Victoria, settling in and around the fledgling City of Melbourne.
In the early 1850s, a formal congregation was organised whose committee set out to obtain the services of a pastor and to seek a grant of land to build a place of worship. Both were eventually successful. in 1852 was granted a site in East Melbourne and in 1853 construction of a church building started. The consecration of the church, to be known as Trinity Lutheran Church, took place on 11 June 1854. The original church building was replaced by the present structure in 1874, and the original manse made way for the present building in 1890.
This is a great opportunity for The Friends to visit and learn more about this amazing church, part of the early history of Melbourne
[Image] Evangelical-Lutheran Church , East Melbourne, 1932, courtesy of Victorian Places